Monday, November 24, 2008

Best day of the year

It's a great day to be a HS basketball player. I always looked forward to this day as a player, and even more so as a coach. As a coach you have your practice plans set for the week, how much conditioning, how much shooting, defense, rebounding etc. We always went two a days a couple of times this week, and really worked the boys hard. Lot's of fundamental review, and defensive positioning/rotations.

I always thought we didn't need to touch a ball too much these first few days, more work on conditioning, and defense, because in the first month if you can't score, at least you can defend and rebound. We very rarely had an out of bounds play in, this first week of practice.

It's a sad day today for me, I certainly miss it a lot right now. I think on the plus side I will be able to spend a lot more time with my family. On the negative side is everything else, I would rather be in a gym than just about anywhere else, and I loved the interaction with the kids. I have had plenty of offers to come into to other coaches practices, and "help out" but it wouldn't be the same I don't think.

I just wanted to wish all the kids, coaches, parents,etc good luck on the upcoming season. I am sure you will see me in a gym sometime.

No comments: